If you don’t have much planned for the long weekend in the middle of June, best you diarise the Absa Calitzdorp Port & Wine Festive 2014 which will stretch over the weekend of the 14th and 15th June.
A firm favourite amongst the Southern Cape locals and die hard Cape “Port” enthusiasts this year’s festival will offer far more than the sweet vinous treats this sleepy Klein Karoo hamlet has to offer and a few stalls.
You can look forward to:
- Culinary demonstrations from celebrity chefs Francois Ferreira, Kokkedoor’s Toinette du Toit and Eric Labuschagne of Yummy Brownie fame
- The excitingly mysterious dining experience of the Secret Suppers with guests treated to a fine dining evening by celebrity chefs.
- Two formal tastings led by expert panels pitting the very best Portuguese ports & table wines against their South African counterparts.
- Historic Calitzdorp train station will host the local Klein Karoo cellars wine tastings& sales, as well as the vintage tractor and car display, gourmet street food market, stall, live music and children’s entertainment.
- A guided historic meander through the village, an art meander to the various galleries & a cellar crawl tractor.
- For the active festival goers a mountain bike race will be held and a good old fashioned Barn Dance to burn off the calories & get the blood flowing in the cold.
Besides the festival activities in and around the town, there are many routes around the area such as the Groenfontein / Kruisriver route along which one finds the stunning Redstone Hills, Rooiberg pass and nature reserve, Van Wyksdorp, Matjiesvleias well as the surrounding area in and around Oudtshoorn for the festival goers to explore.
For more information and accommodation please visit their website.