Rainbow Cherry Jigglers Ingredients:
- 30 maraschino cherries
OPAQUE LAYER INGREDIENTS
- ½ cup pineapple or orange juice
- ½ cup vodka
- 1 ¼ envelopes gelatin (1/4 envelope equals about 1/2 teaspoon of gelatin powder)
CLEAR LAYER INGREDIENTS
- 1 cups white cranberry juice cocktail
- 1 cup vodka
- 2 1/2 envelopes gelatin (1/2 envelope equals about 1 teaspoon of gelatin powder)
- cake sprinkles for garnish, if desired
- Prepare the molds (2 flexible silicone half sphere) by wiping the mold cavities with a paper towel moistened with a little vegetable oil (or a quick spray of unflavored cooking oil spray will also work). Then, wipe the mold cavities with a clean paper towel. This will leave just the slightest residue, which will help unmold the gelatin without affecting the taste or appearance. Place each mold on a cookie sheet or cooling rack to provide a stable surface.
- Prepare cherries. Cut the very bottom end off each cherry. (This will allow the cherries to stand up straight in the molds.) Place the cut cherries on a paper towel to drain.
- Prepare Opaque Layer. Place juice in a saucepan and sprinkle with the gelatin. Allow to soak for a minute or two. Heat over very low heat, stirring constantly, until dissolved (approximately 5 minutes). Remove from heat. Stir in the vodka. Fill each mold cavity 1/3 full with the gelatin mixture. Refrigerate until fully set, 30 minutes to an hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare the Clear Layer.
- Place juice in a saucepan and sprinkle with the gelatin. Allow to soak for a minute or two. Heat over very low heat, stirring constantly, until dissolved (approximately 5 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in the vodka. Set aside to cool slightly (about 15 minutes).
- When the mixture has cooled, and the Opaque Layer is set, remove the molds from the refrigerator. Place a cherry, cut side down, in each mold cavity. Using a tablespoon, carefully fill each mold cavity to the top with the reserved clear gelatin mixture. Return molds to the refrigerator, and chill for several hours (ideally overnight to allow the layers to fully bond).
- To serve, unmold. Immediately before serving, garnish with the cake sprinkles, if desired.
The jelly shots could also be set in a 9”x9” square cake pan, with cherries spaced at regular intervals, then cut into desired shapes with a knife.
The cake sprinkles must be added at the very last moment.